Thursday, May 17, 2012

The Face a Mother Loves

From the time my children were small, I would insert the latest portrait or school picture in their dedicated frames in front of the previous photos.   By the time high school came, there were so many photos stacked, that I no longer needed the extra piece of cardboard that pushed the photos tight against the glass.  I would perform an annual perusal through all of the pictures whenever I added a new photo. With each passing year, my enjoyment of the youngest pictures would grow.   There were always certain photos that I loved best, specifically, the one that perfectly captured a familiar expression - a grin or twinkle that a mother knows and loves more than anyone in this world.  

The photo that I painted this portrait from is a favorite of mine.   I estimate that my son is about eight, dressed in a shirt and tie.  It is as if his reluctant smile is saying to me, "Mum - another picture?  Hurry up and take it already!"


Stephen Age Eight

I measured precisely from the photo, sketching in the outline with a raw sienna wash.   I used extra care in spacing out the features accurately, starting with the eyes.  I discovered after my first pass of paint that my sketch was not so perfect, despite carefully placing the features.    The image was distorted.  How did that happen? 


I repeated the measurements.    All of the features were okay except for the nose.  The rhinoplastic correction was a matter of shifting it up.    I find that most of my drawing errors in my paintings stem from my inadequate perception of space vertically.   It seems easier to measure horizontally, but up and down is more difficut for me.  I still struggle with portraits, so it will be a matter of continuing to practice.

I loved working on this painting.   This is no perfect portrait, but it was not the fault of the perfect photo of the perfect face.  As it became more refined, it was almost like staring face to face with my little boy again. 


2 comments:

CLGadde said...

Oh my goodness! I LOVE this blog entry and I LOVE this painting of Stephen! I am soo impressed!

Maureen Vezina Art Blog said...

Thank you Christina...you now know what I mean (Mom) :)