Thursday, May 31, 2012

Studio Still Life Shelf

My husband is not only an extraordinary engineer, but a talented carpenter.  There is obvious overlap between the talents needed by the two vocations.    An engineer's primary responsibility is to analyze problems and design solutions.   Carpenters perform similar functions albeit in a much more tactile way.    So into one person, add expert problem analysis, elegant solution design and skilled wood working and then you have my husband.   (Did I mention that he is sweet, loving and kind as well?)

There are many features of my dream studio that I love, the marshview probably topping the list.   Other plusses include a slider to an open air deck, 12-14 inch reclaimed wood board flooring, separate warm and cool track lighting, and storage space for canvases, all thanks to my designer and carpenter extraordinaire.  

One very functional feature that stands out for me is my still life shelf.   The spotlight for this post is on this mini-innovation that my husband conceived and implemented.   Prior to this invention, my studio had shelves but they were not the optimal height for my still life set ups.   I had been stacking an old wooden box and/or books to build up a platform to the height I wanted for a still life.      I would then lean a piece of foamcore against a tall object to keep it upright.   To that I would clip fabric to the foamcore and drape it down onto the surface I had stacked up.

Still Life Shelf Stowed
This photo shows the addition of the still life shelf just under the long existing shelf in the stowed position, taking up very little space.    By pulling the black knob, the wood assembly slides out on heavy duty drawer tracks.


Still Life Shelf Pulled All the Way Out
 This photo shows the wood shelf assembly pulled all the way out.  I could use it just like this - a plain, flat surface, but that's not all.






Removing Horizonal Bar from Stowed Position
It may be difficult to see what is happening here, but this horizonal bracket comes off before the backdrop can be opened.













Fully Opened Still Life Shelf
The black knob is used to open up the backdrop which is hinged to the shelf bottom.   The horizonal bracket is then reinstalled across the front of the backdrop to keep it upright.

Since I am short, this is a good height for me.   I can drape fabric over the back and clip a spotlight to the front or sides.   It is handy to have a reserved spot in the studio that can stay set up for as long as needed.    When no still life is in progress, I can neatly fold the shelf away to save space.

If anyone has questions about it, let me know.

Thank you to my husband in helping me create my wonderful, dedicated, workspace - with the great shelf...





No comments: