Saturday, July 28, 2012

Nantasket Beach Paint Out

It was a hot and humid July day.   I headed north from Marshfield up Route 3A trying to decide which beach I was going to paint at - a nice dilemma to have after working 55 hours a week for over thirty years.   When my children were little, I would occasionally take them to beautiful Nantasket Beach.   All the conveniences are handy and there is plenty of free beachside parking.

I spotted the David Cook Comfort Station which is toward the Northern edge of the beach prior to where residential homes start.   There was a shelter that hung over a picnic table and benches.   The first parking spot was free.   I had found my spot.


Nantasket Beach Scene Stage 1
I set up my easel facing north.    On the map to the right, if you find Hull and then look north, the islands in the distance are the Brewster Islands (Outer, Middle, Little and Great).  Boston Light is on Little Brewster.


Nantasket Beach Scene Stage 2
This gave me a chance to practice making the islands in the distance recede, especially since there was so much moisture in the air.   I began with a pale blue and white palette knife sky.   I then sketched in the islands on the horizon and dabbed in Boston Light. I used my new favorite, buff titanium on my palette knife to represent the gorgeous beach.   I liked the beachhouse on the left and the winding side road with crosswalk lines on which a few cars had parked.   Seagrass and beach roses made up the remainder of my composition.   I don't plan to spend a lot more time on the grasses and foreground sidewalk, but I definitely need to touch it up.

 I estimate that the top one third of the painting took two thirds of my effort and the bottom two thirds of the painting the other third.   This is not done yet but I love the summer feel of it and will polish it up in the near future.

No comments: