Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Plymouth Harbor

If beauty had anything to do with the Pilgrims' decision on where to settle, I can see why Plymouth Harbor was the choice.   Realistically, they were looking for water, food, and a site suitably protected from weather and potential enemies.     How pleased they must have been once they settled in and started to appreciate the fantastic geography and beauty of it. 

My basic needs as a painter were met in Plymouth as well, those being - views, parking, restrooms, shade and enough people around to feel secure.   I set up facing the beautiful harbor grateful for a successful modern day pilgrimage!


Easel Set-up at Plymouth Harbor
Looking due east in the distance on the right was the long spit reached via Ryder Way (it extends about one third of the length of the pennisula) - or it can be reached by boat.  There are very few houses out there and if you ever find yourself on a ferry exiting Plymouth Harbor, you can get a good look at them.  

Within my viewfinder from where I was standing I could include five of these beach houses in the far distance and include a beautiful antique sailboat that I had spotted.  Additionally a sailing class had paraded out to the spit, their small sunfish boats matching except for their colorful sail stripes, so I included them (distant right).


Antique Sailboat Plymouth Harbor


Again the early morning was calm and pink.  I didn't want to "push" the color, because the soft pale pinks, blues, lavender and greens were gorgeous as they were.   I was thinking this subtle key would not translate onto the canvas as beautifully.   I decided to go for it anyway, but made sure I mixed each shade of pink, blue, lavender and green in the same value and then place them separately on the canvas (ie. not blended so as to get gray).  

The foreground scrubby brush and grasses offer an "anchor" and I didn't worry about any detail.   

So what about the color, too bland?

No comments: