Sunday, July 22, 2012

Pristine Beach is Back

Right after the June Nor'easter of 2012, our beach became covered with thick rancid, red seaweed.   Despite multiple cleanups by the town and ordinary residents (like myself), the copious amount, especially between the boulders, caused an unbearable odor that lingered for weeks.    Finally within the last few days, the beach was back to a nice, pristine state, and I set off to do a sunrise painting.

July Sunrise Stage 1
I began with a canvas toned with warm light values of red, yellow and blue.   There was some texture from the underpainting which can be seen in the Stage 1 photo at the left.  There was a section of yellow and pale red in the underpainting similar to the colors of the actual sunrise. I planned the sunrise around that warm area of underpainting color and my plan was to leave the underpainting showing through for extra color.  I drew in the jetty and a strip of rocks that were visible because of low tide.

  

The colors became less vivid as the sun rose, and as is always the case with changing conditions, I had to be very deliberate about not "chasing" the light.  Empty tidal pools made dark swirled patterns in the sand. 

Cloudy July Sunrise


No comments: