Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Arnold Arboretum


The Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University is the oldest public arboretum in North America and one of the world’s leading centers for the study of plant biodiversity.  Established in 1872 and planned and designed in collaboration with Frederick Law Olmsted, the Arnold Arboretum is a National Historic Landmark and one of the best preserved of Olmsted’s landscapes. Founded as a public-private partnership between the City of Boston and Harvard University, the Arnold Arboretum is both a respected research institution and a beloved public park in Boston’s Emerald Necklace.
Occupying 265 acres, the Arboretum’s living collection of trees, shrubs, and woody vines is recognized as one of the most comprehensive and best documented of its kind in the world.  Use this link to check out their website.

http://arboretum.harvard.edu/


Arnold Arboretum, Boston, MA
Lilac Sunday at the Arboretum 2011


Each summer in collaboration with Jamaica Plain Open Studios, the Arboretum hosts a juried group exhibition devoted to art inspired by plants, the landscape and the Arboretum collections.   Last year I my painting Lilac Sunday at the Arboretum was included in the exhibition.




Enjoying Arnold Arboretum 2012
We love walking through the Arboretum and make a point of trying to make it to Lilac Sunday at Arnold Arboretum each Spring.   This year was no exception and although I did not have my painting gear with me, I did take many photographs including one that was used to develop this year's Arboretum painting.

In this scene, I was at the top of a hill looking down into one of the main walking intersections.  Under the tent was information about Arnold Arboretum Memberships.  I was attracted to all the different groups of people and the ways they were enjoying the Arboretum.  I used a 24 X 20 inch canvas.   It was a challenge to paint from a vantage above, and in fact looking down into the top of the closest tree.  The other challenge was to capture the myriad of different kinds of trees, some with Spring blossoms.  The things in the distance are lighter, bluer and fuzzier.  I came in at the end and really carved in some edges toward the front.  What is the center of interest as you look at it?

This is my submission for 2012.  I'll let you know if it is chosen to be included in this year's show.


No comments: