Tuesday, August 14, 2012

"M" Street Beach

It's August and there is plenty of mild weather still to come in summer and, of course, all of the autumn to look forward to.  I find myself thinking however about the later sunrises and earlier sunsets.   Have I been taking advantage of the early sun for painting?  Not enough.
M Street Beach Stage 1

I decided to get up and out early so that I could paint in Boston prior to making my regular visit to my aunt.    I parked on Day Boulevard near "O" Street and crossed over to a grassy spot just before the South Boston Yacht Club.   I set up facing west, aligned with the shoreline.  The L Street Bathhouses were straight ahead of me and the tall, white handball court was visible beyond the M Street beach fence.   


M Street Beach - Stage 2
It was only 7:30 AM when I set up, another warm and humid day.   The sun was behind me and it was illuminating the sand and lighting up the trees along the boulevard.   It was a very warm light.   I commenced with a warm sand color made from terra cotta, naples yellow and white.   Toward the waterline the sand was darker and greener.   The horizon line, the distant shore of Columbia Point and Carson Beach was mostly green, but when I held up the loaded brush, I had to make it much bluer.   This far treeline color called for cool combination of viridian green, alizarin crimson and lemon yellow, contrasted with ultramarine for shadows.

M Street Beach
I liked the idea of adding the metal fence that curved away from where I was standing.   It was a blue-green color, but it was effectively reflecting the blue sky overhead at the top.   It formed a cool - warm contrast against the warm sand as well as a dynamic lead in to the painting.  



This canvas is 9 x 12 so for the small details, I waited until I got back to the studio for my small brushwork.   I added just a couple of people to it because in fact there were no people on the beach, but usually there is!   As always comments and suggestions welcome.

No comments: