Thursday, August 9, 2012

Pond Reflections 2


Old Oaken Bucket Stage One

This was the second painting I did at the Old Oaken Bucket Pond today.   It is efficient to do multiple paintings at the same spot, not just because you are in a groove, but you have your paint mixtures and brushes from the first painting.  This is a 9 x 12 inch linen on board with no underpainting.   In this painting the structure on the far side of the pond was my focal point.

Dragonfly in Blue Paint



This was a perfect weather day.   Low humidity and warm temperatures - being outside painting, what could be better?  And as if my appreciation of the gift of a perfect day wasn't enough, I had a visit from a winged creature, a bright green dragonfly.


Dragonfly Visit
As I worked on the sky, it landed atop my canvas.  I'm sure it was standing in blue paint.   It hung out with me for quite a while.    It then moved to the top of my easel.  I took pictures and it never flinched.    Maybe it was stuck by blue paint?  Reincarnation believers, what say you?


Old Oaken Bucket Stage 2
I worked the darks above and below the shoreline.   Like in the first painting, I turned the canvas 90 degrees to check the symmetry of the marks on either side.   I continued to work lighter and lighter greens.    The barn in the distance has three visible planes.  The left side in shadow was a dark purplish gray.  The roof is a similar hue, but lighter and bluer taking on some blue sky reflection.  The sunlit side of the barn was titanium, raw sienna and cadmium red light.   For the reflections of the barn sides I used a little extra medium in anticipation of using the wide brush to draw down its reflections.

Old Oaken Bucket Pond Stage 3

Once this dries, I will add some sky colored ripples and a few water lilies.

Old Oaken Bucket Stage 4


No comments: