Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Ode to Hollywood - The Party

What a night!!  Pinch me...I felt like, "what am I doing here?"

The "Ode to Hollywood" Art Exhibition opened in the Jeanie Madsen Gallery on Ocean Ave in Santa Monica last night.   From the time we arrived to the time we left there was a steady stream of people - artists, friends of the artists and collectors enjoying a diverse but cohesive show.

A Hollywood-style red carpet led the way to the gallery from busy Ocean Ave. and a photographer took pictures of artists with gallery owner Jeanie Madsen.   Her sweet, peanut-sized frame belied her powerhouse of energy, enthusiasm and charisma.  She was the thought leader in creating the event and collaborating with international magazine, Blue Canvas.   All that had me a little anxious of what to expect, but we couldn't have felt more welcome, thanks to Jeanie and her staff.


Jeanie Madsen and Maureen Being Photographed on the Red Carpet
Any worries about fitting in or "what to wear" quickly gave way to relaxation and enjoyment as we observed outfits from jeans and tee shirts to formfitting mini skirts to long silky gowns. Anything goes in LA...free expression. We didn't remember to bring our funky hats, but others had their fedoras, flowery headpieces, turbans and leopard top hats.  

All around the gallery the friendly, positive, creative, and can-do messaging for artists and collectors alike.   Jeanie admitted to diving into this event not knowing what to expect.   It started to take on a life of its own and the goodwill generated was more than she ever expected.  At the start of the awards announcement, my own welcome was complete with Jeanie making note of my cross-country trek, stating that I had come the furthest to be there.

The common denominator in the gallery was love of art and all experience levels of artists boldly putting their best work forward. Among the show's collection of artwork was mixed media, photography, sculpture, and digitally altered images. Each piece had a write up describing the inspiration for creating the artwork and its connection to Hollywood.  Here is a link to the gallery.   Photos are forthcoming.

http://www.jeaniemadsengallery.com/index.html


Maureen with Ode to Hollywood Painting
During the course of the night, Jeanie brought people over and introduced us. We met an artist, a young woman from Kingston, MA, who just relocated to LA seeking a gallery position.  Several people came over because they had ties to Massachusetts.  I don't remember all the names, but I remember them expressing genuine interest in my painting too.   It was an energizing shot of adrenaline feeding already my panabsorbing art obsession.

I even chatted with the two men who own and run Blue Canvas magazine.  Thirty-something Justin Yun is the Publisher and CEO of the magazine.  They seemed genuinely interested and happy to hear that I was a regular user of the online features of Blue Canvas,  including art collecting, rating favorites with stars, and maintaining a personal gallery.   They shared that there was an upgrade in the works.  Both made a point to study my painting and were complimentary of it.   We exchanged business cards and they signed my complimentary issue, another nice momento.

I am obviously really glad we came and I promise not to make a habit of shameless self promotion in future blog posts.   But this definitely was an exciting first in my art life and I was ready to just bust....so here it is - dedicated to my best cheering section - you know who you are :)

1 comment:

CLGadde said...

I am infinitely cooler because I can now say that my Godmother walked the red carpet!! So proud of you!!