Thursday, November 20, 2014

Sandbox Play

I have always found it fascinating to watch children engaged in free play.    Pail and shovel, sand and water....that's as good as it gets for a little tike, right?   (I hoping so, given the rash of babies playing with PDA's that I have observed lately.  :))  


Sandbox Play
This painting depicts three little people who were busy with sand, cups and buckets while Dad did his own digging.

Painting design was on my mind for this scene because this canvas measured 12x24 inches.    The center of interest was the group of children who were placed to the left of the center line.   As soon as they were added, the horizontal balance was off, automatically weighed to the left.   Once Dad was inserted, he not only added to the story, but he balanced the total composition.  As a background "element" however, he would have to be smaller and less defined.  Further, his placement would have to balance the group of children.    I was imagining a fulcrum between the children and the Dad that would equalize their weight as it related to the whole canvas.

I don't like that my warm transparent darks were contaminated with opaque tones....Before I post this to the shop, I'll have to fix it.   Any other comments?






No comments: