Friday, December 5, 2014

Knockdown House and Rain

I did what I said I would not do, which is to drive around looking for a place to paint.   I'm not taking full blame for wasting this time.   I'm sharing it with the weather forecaster I watched.   She said the morning mist would give way to a bright but cloudy day.   I stayed optimistic and drove into Boston. I'm also sharing the blame with the parking situation in Boston.   I was planning on snaring the first metered spot I saw, but there was none to be had.   Meanwhile the mist became steady rain and then downpours and wind.    Twasn't meant to be!
Knockdown House on Gray Day

I did errands instead and on my way back into Marshfield, I decided to stop at the South River Park which has that new sheltered picnic area.   I had set out in the morning to paint - and like a junkie, I hadn't gotten my fix.   It was misty again so this was a nice gray setting.   The old dilapidated house that I painted the last time I was here looked worse than ever.

 According to the sign out front this old house is slated to be demolished and be replaced with new commercial real estate. I suspect the new building will not have the old graceful lines of this antique that I enjoyed on this day, and probably for the last time.
Rain on my Palette

As for color, with all the grayness of the day, I used Gamblin's Radiant Magenta and Radiant Violet with touch of my usual grays.   These made some pretty (although pale) color accents amid all the silvery woods.   These soft colorful accents aren't visible in this photograph at all!   They really are there in person, I swear!



Knockdown House
The overhang worked out well for about an hour at which point the wind and rain I had seen in Boston earlier started up.   Before I realized it, the palette was covered with raindrops.  Luckily only the back of the painting got wet.  I packed up and get out of there, thinking - hot coffee needed.




No comments: