Thursday, May 9, 2019

White Sun Hats

Sunhats
I always loved this photo of my fellow painters in our "Figures in the Landscape" painting class.    It was June and everyone was "top-lit," most especially their hats, all of which looked bright white.    Everyone seemed totally consumed by their creative works-in-progress.    You might think with this many people in close proximity that there would be plenty of conversation, but typically the opposite was true.   Maybe with the (creative) right side of their brain hard at work, the left (verbal controlling) side was on "mute."

The under-painting for this piece was roughed in with five values, all monochromatic shades of pinkish-brown.  The subdued palette for the initial sketch in paint was pretty and I should have taken a picture to show you.  I forgot - and launched straight into colorizing it.    I intentionally kept the colors on the softer side though.  I'm sensing a color trend starting with this more subdued palette - again.

No comments: