Monday, June 18, 2012

A Key Workshop Experience - Day Two

The agenda for Day Two of the Daniel Keys oil painting workshop was painting a morning Cape Cod location, breaking for lunch, then painting a different location in the afternoon.     Rain squelched this plan so Plan B was enacted.   A large local studio became our shelter for the next three days.   A trip to a local garden center produced an assortment of local plants and flowers for grouping into a simulated greenhouse landscape. 


Yellow Pansies
Daniel demonstrated his technique by painting a lovely purple and white bearded iris.     How dark are white petals in shadow?   Probably a lot darker than I would initially paint them.   It was so valuable to observe the methodology for applying clean, clear color to achieve a fresh and beautiful result.  This means getting the right color at the right value and applying it correctly the first time.  Subsequent application of paint can only make it muddy.

My station's set up had magenta dahlias and purple trimmed yellow pansies.   The first challenge was mixing the shadow color for what looked like very light yellow pansies.   I used my green mixture (viridian and cad yellow deep) and my purple mixture (cobalt blue and permanent rose) to get a greenish gray.     I trimmed the petals with a purple that was initially too dark...I resolved this problem once I realized that anywhere the yellow petals were lightest, the purple trim had to be its lightest too.   So obvious, right?   Not always when I'm in the moment.



No comments: