Sunday, June 17, 2012

A Key Workshop Experience - Day One

I attended a four-day, thoroughly enjoyable - workshop this week with a masterful young artist, Daniel Keys.    Not only is Daniel producing incredibly beautiful art, but he has a natural talent for teaching, sharing information in clear and understandable terms.    On the previous weekend, living legend, artist Richard Schmid dubbed Daniel the artist to watch.  I consider myself very lucky to have had this opportunity to learn from and paint with this remarkably accomplished phenom.

Click here to get a closer look at Daniel's art.
http://danielkeysfineart.com/

My Easel at Beach Rose Inn Side Garden
The first two days were to be focussed on the Cape Cod landscape.   The charming Beach Rose Inn in West Falmouth was a perfect backdrop for capturing on canvas a gorgeous June day on Cape Cod.   The roses, shasta daisies, and peonies were in full bloom decorating the grounds, and providing a variety of floral subjects.    Other choices were a koi pond with lily pads (and yes, the frog sitting on a lily pad), rustic cottages with flower boxes, and centuries old cedars.


Planter, Lantern and Spring Greens
The multitude of Spring greens, a blue speckled pottery planter and wrought iron path lantern were the elements present in the scene I chose.  On my palette I had introduced some colors that were new to me, like Transparent Oxide Brown.   It was a bit arduous - but rewarding - to not only try the new colors, but to adhere to the discipline of applying color shapes in the methodical process that Daniel had demonstrated in the morning.     The warm undertones of the transparent brown are still visible.   Using a nice clean blue has resulted in a pot that is a bit too blue.   I'll most likely tone it down with a glaze in a few days.   Here is my painting from day one of the workshop.

No comments: