Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Yellow Roses and Hydrangeas

A dreary, rainy few days have taken a toll on the newly blossoming yellow roses and hydrandeas.   Early on in the storm I took some clippings.  I used a florist water tube to preserve a yellow rose for a couple of days laying horizontally on the shelf.  I also put some yellow daisies, blue hydrangeas and yellow roses in a blue and copper speckled pottery vase.    I set up the still life in my studio with low angled spotlight.    I did the following sketches to practice mixing the floral colors.
Really Bad Yellow Rose
Two Bad Yellow Roses



Blue Hydrangea Still Life - Portrait
Hydrangeas have always been difficult for me, but the only way to go is up after the bad yellow roses.    I positioned my canvas portrait style because of the extra tall vase.  In the picture to the left, the painting hydrangeas look very blue compared to the actual set up.  











Blue Hydrangea Still Life - Landscape
Below I set up another canvas, this time landscape style.   Although the hydrangeas do not look so bad to me, the yellow rose is still not to my liking.   I do like the yellow daisy.




Blue Hydrangea with Yellow Roses

This was a good practice day with the rain and all.  The next time I paint my hydrangeas and yellow roses though, I'm hoping I am outside with them.


No comments: