Saturday, February 16, 2013

Yellow Beachwear

Yellow Beachwear
I am putting my recent Figure Workshop learnings to good use.    I chose this scene from our collection of vacation photos because I thought it had a very strong composition.  Credit for the photo goes to my husband.

What made it a good composition?   I think the primary pluses were  1) the extreme value contrast between the shadows and bright tropical sun, 2) the variety of shapes (rectangular beach chair, pointy palm reeds and the curved figure, and, 3) the figure has all the color and automatically draws the eye - appropriately - as the center of interest.

I painted a three value study of  the photo, black, white and grey.   I forgot to take a picture of it at that point which is too bad because it would have demonstrated how this underpainting really provided a clear blueprint for the finished painting. I let the value study dry completely and then painted over it, sticking strictly to the black, white, and grey values when adding the color.   I added the reflected light from the sand that shines up on the face and under the chin.   Right now it may be a little too light.   I will wait a week and take another critical look.

You may have guessed that this is me.   I'm returning to my chaise with two cups of salt water for painting my tropical watercolors.  There has been a suggestion that I add a paintbrush in my teeth.   I like the idea and I still may do that.  The question is would it add to the painting or take away?

No comments: