Friday, June 14, 2013

Daniel Webster Estate

Daniel Webster Estate
Daniel Webster (January 18, 1782 – October 24, 1852) was a prominent, regional figure whose legacy is apparent even today around the town of Marshfield.    He was an orator, lawyer and statesman.   He actually served as Secretary of State under three US presidents.

He bought the land (600 acres) on which the Daniel Webster Estate stands today, adding another 1200 acres to his holdings, which he decided to name "Green Harbor."

For much more on Marshfield's Daniel Webster and his estate (the subject of this painting), visit the following link.     http://www.danielwebsterestate.org/

What about the painting's development?   Last year I  had made an unsuccessful attempt to execute a plein air capture of this beautiful location which is very close to home.   I vaguely remember mosquitoes, not having any viridian green and the clouds opening up before I was done.    I grabbed that painting with the thought that maybe I could salvage it for this outing.   I forgot to take a photo of that starting point.   The drawing was close, but the colors screamed late summer.    This paint-out went much better which I attributed to having a full first pass at a complicated architecture already established.   Now I could adjust the light and angles, and also work on highlighting and strengthening the color.   For the pretty shadow patterns from the big, old, chestnut trees, I used various cool blues and purples for added interest.

No comments: