Saturday, June 29, 2013

June at Nantasket Beach

Nantasket Beach Stage 1
This day was a "10" by my standards and I can't imagine anyone disagreeing. Although our beautiful beach is closeby here in Green Harbor, I drove north on Route 3A for some different scenery.  I decided to return to the same painting spot I used last year at Nantasket Beach.   There is a large, sturdy overhang that casts good shade along the boardwalk.  And, once again - I am so lucky when it comes to finding parking spots.   I scored a dream spot on a day when the $10-to-park lot was filling up quickly just across the street.



Nantasket Beach Stage 2
Nantasket Beach Stage 3
 The beach was dotted with people of all shapes and sizes.   I love the colorful dabs of color all along the shore - bright umbrellas, beach bags, bathing suits and towels.   I started the painting by trying to match sky and water color.   Once I had this background in, I added the bright green seagrasses immediately in front of me.   Finally I selected the people and added them one-by-one.   I was discussing the addition of the people with a man had stopped to watch the painting progress.  We agreed that one particular little toddler who had a bright turquoise outfit and yellow pail and shovel, would be good, but he had been running around so much that I had hesitated.   Just as I started dabbing him in, what do you know, he stayed still for at least two or three minutes.   This was long enough to get him roughed in.


What a fun outing, and yes I know how lucky I am.  After stufio refinements, it will be posted on my website.

Added bonus:  I took advantage of the fact I was only a few blocks from "To Dine For," a restaurant that specializes in delicious Syrian cuisine.   The starving artists' dinner this evening consisted of meat pies, stuffed grape leaves and award winning black bean soup - worth the trip to Hull, with or without the paint-out!


No comments: