Saturday, June 8, 2013

Auntie

Auntie - Stage One
I continue to work on developing my portraiture skills, and the human figure and portraits have become my favorite painting subjects.   People are so much more interesting than even the most strikingly beautiful landscape (in my opinion).

I used a photograph to develop this painting of my Aunt Theresa.   She is turning 87 in a couple of weeks, now the matriarch of the family, outliving all of her family of the same generation.   When asked for her longevity secret, she said, "Eat good food, and do what you are supposed to do."  Of course she means "healthy" food, and the other part sounds pretty simple, right?

I worked this portrait from a recent photo.   I undertoned the canvas with a pale, Irish fleshtone.   Transparent brown oxide was used to sketch in the features.  I set the dots for the pupils first.   Once I established the spot between the eyes, all other features were measured from that spot.   This method gave me a consistent way to measure from that dot to other landmarks,  and observe the angle between the two to build the facial structure more accurately. 

Once the whole face was sketched, I re-measured, and per my usual mistake, the tip of the nose was too long.  It is critically important to the success of the likeness to go back and make a second pass in measuring, tweaking the drawing until it looks just like the person.   Aunt Theresa's trademark white blouse and pastel colored mock neck makes it authentic and personal.   I felt that the typical dark portrait background would be too drastic a contrast, so I stayed with the pastel theme.

I positioned Auntie's head to the left because I was considering adding her hands somehow.   Elderly hands have so much character and perhaps she is reaching for her visor or diamond studded pink sunglasses.   Or perhaps someone has another interesting suggestion.   If so, don't hesitate to let me know.  I still may add them, as this is still in-progress.

2 comments:

CLGadde said...

I love this! Adding hands to the portrait could be tricky (in terms of size and proportion to her face, but if anyone can do it, I have faith you can!). Auntie's hands do have a lot of character; I imagine it would be a a big challenge to incorporate them. Adding her visor, sunglasses or a cross could be a nice touch too!

Maureen Vezina Art Blog said...

Thank you Chris...I appreciate your feedback! I think I will try the hands, I can always delete later if it doesn't go well :) xoxo