Wednesday, February 4, 2015

The Shallop

The Shallop
The Plymouth Harbor waterfront is a fine plein air location for many reasons including the endless variety of subjects, pleasant bay breezes, prime parking and lots of foot traffic.   I started this painting back in September en plein air but I recall this being my second painting that day and I had run out of time.   I was happy to have captured the sky, water and the shape of the boats before packing up.   Every pastel shade of grey seemed to have been bouncing around that day.  

Being somewhat snowbound this week, I got back to the painting using a photograph.  I'm happy to work on this scene because who knows when the Mayflower II will be back on the waterfront.   It was put into dry dock for repairs this past fall.

Although the Mayflower is the famous element, it is the "shallop" that is the painting's center of interest.  In the 1600s, the word “shallop” referred to an open wooden workboat such as a barge, dory, or rowboat. Shallops were small enough to row but also had one or two sails.   This shallop looked like it was about 30 feet long and 8 feet wide and was used to shuttle passengers to shore.   The shallop actually sat aboard the Mayflower en route and was even used as sleeping space for some passengers. 

My favorite part of the scene was the colorful ripples reflecting the colors of the shallop, the pilings and the pastel sky.   I've included a close up of the ripples to the left.  I'm wondering if the shallop accompanied the Mayflower to dry dock for repairs or if it will be on display in the Spring.

Ripples with All the Colors

No comments: