Friday, August 2, 2013

Courtroom Sketches

Bulger Hunched Over
One of the country's most infamous criminals, James "Whitey" Bulger is currently on trial in the Federal Courthouse in Boston.    Last week the prosecution wrapped up its case and this week, the defense began presenting their witnesses.   This news got me thinking that if I was going to get into Boston to see any of the trial, I had better do it soon.


Bulger & Carney
Only ten courtroom spots are available to ordinary citizens like myself.   The security guard at the door of the courtroom showed me the ten signatures that were taking up those ten spots on this particular day.   He noted that typically the list was filled by 5:30 AM.   The bottom line was that there was no chance of me getting into the main courtroom.


FBI Fitzgerald Ink 1+2
I was directed to the "overflow" courtroom.   In these courtrooms (there were actually two) large video monitors were set up on either side of the room allowing the viewing public to witness the trial.  

It was a dual purpose that prompted my visit to the courthouse.     It is a historic and fascinating trial spanning forty years of Boston history.   While listening and viewing the trial, I would also be able to work on portraits of the witnesses. 
FBI Fitzgerald Ink 3+4

Before the jury came in, Judge Casper ruled on various motions that had been put before her, including the issue of sequestration of the jury during deliberations.    Bulger struck a pose during these proceedings that I have heard has been his daily position (eyes down, chin resting on his left hand) and his lawyer, Jay Carney was seated to his right.


On this, the first day for the defense, they put Robert Fitzgerald, a former FBI Supervisor, on the stand.    For three hours he recounted everything from his schooling, to his involvement in organized crime cases, political scandals (ABSCAM), and his job as supervisor of a group of FBI Agents in Boston.  

FBI Fitzgerald Ink 5
FBI Fitzgerald Ink 6
His seventy-three year old face was full of character lines.   His hair was somewhat red, his cheeks fleshy and rudy, and his moustache was gray.    I had my sketchbook, but had left my pencil on the passenger seat of the car.   So I sketched with a Bic pen until the first break, when I could retrieve my pencil.   I have included all of my scribblings in this post.

The progression of the sketches probably demonstrates the learning that went on as I became more familiar with the facial features.   The only drawback was that I was copying from a 2D monitor, not the person in full 3D.  All the practice is good however.


FBI Fitzgerald Ink 7

Robert Fitzgerald Pencil Sketch

No comments: