Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Under the Yellow Umbrella

Yellow Umbrella Girl - Stage 1
Yellow Umbrella Girl - Stage 2
An indoor painting session with our live model resulted in a sweet pose with a predominantly yellow and purple harmony.    The cool light on the yellow umbrella was painted with lemon yellow.   The darker yellow in shadow was painted with a mix of cadmium yellow deep and purple.  

After having painted this same young lady two weeks ago and using her photograph to make adjustments to that first painting, I was quite familiar with her features.   The initial drawing of the face in paint went more smoothly because of it.  

The umbrella pigment was spread on with the palette knife, giving it a broken chunky look that I like.   The figure in my painting was chunky as well and that I did not like.   The model was trim and fit so in my pursuit to get a likeness I slimmed her out significantly.  Within the purple yellow harmony, the darks of her hair were purple and the lights were yellowish-lavender.

The hands are still a little to rough for my liking, so before I call it completely done, I will smooth them out a bit.   Comments are welcome.



No comments: